Monday, April 18, 2005

One body, two ears

Some would call it coincidence, some synchronisity, but I prefer calling it the Holy Spirit. Last Sunday, April 10, we dedicated the handbells during worship. During the week prior I had started working on the message based on that week's scripture (and had the "weasley" encounter previously posted). Mid-week I finally realized that it was the week of the handbell dedication and quickly shifted gears. As I worked on the service I decided that a nice message for the children would be about the 1 Corinthians 12 passage about one body with many parts so I emailed our Christian Education Director, Carlos, to suggest it. He emailed me back that he was not going to be in church that Sunday, that he already talked to Cindy about covering Sunday School, and that he had failed to line up anyone for the children's message. No problem then, I could use the message and do it myself.

Meanwhile, Cindy planned on doing a craft involving coloring masks and talking about how God made us all different. When she got to church on Sunday morning she discovered that the kids had already done that craft so she had to scramble for another one. She decided to use some large cardboard jigsaw pieces she had and have the kids color them to look like themselves and they would then show how they all fit together!

Imagine her amazement when she heard my children's message?!?!

If we had been more organized and planned better we may have come up with the same thing, but then we would have missed out on tingling excitement of feeling the Holy Spirit at work in our midst. God is indeed still speaking!

No comments: