Saturday, December 09, 2006

Putting CHRIST back in CHRISTmas

Sculpture "When Did We See You Lord?" by Gina Lynch
Click on picture for larger view


We have been hearing this expression quite a bit lately with Walmart and other stores taking a stand and saying “Merry Christmas” instead of “Happy Holidays”. How ironic that they are using it as a way to get consumers to spend money at their stores on gifts that we don’t really need. How exactly is this putting “CHRIST IN CHRISTMAS”?


In the Bible, in the Old Testament, Isaiah 58, God says to the people “is not this the kind of fasting I wish from you: to loose the chains of injustice ….to set the oppressed free…is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor homeless with shelter….when you see the naked, to clothe them and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood…Then you light will break forth like the dawn and your healing will quickly appear (vs. 5-8)


In the New Testament, Matthew 25, Jesus tells the story of separating the sheep from the goats (those who do good and those who don’t) “and the King will say to those on his right come you who are blessed, the kingdom is prepared for you, for I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you visited me.” And the people answered him saying, “But when did we see you Lord?” “ when did we see you hungry, or thirsty, or in need?” …The King will reply, “I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these children of mine, you did for me.”


IF JESUS CAME INTO THE WORLD TODAY, WOULD THERE BE ANY ROOM? WOULD WE RECOGNIZE HIM?

Together, let us put CHRIST back into CHRISTMAS this year by helping others in need. Your donation will help make a difference to many who are hungry, homeless, sick and in need. Gift cards are available for you to give a donation in someone’s name. All donations will be given to the following agencies in our area:

Heifer International

Southbridge Interfaith Hospitality Network (a family shelter)

Jeremiah’s Inn

Salem Mission

Western Massachusetts Food Bank

Springfield Rescue Mission

Legal Aid Society

Abby House

Checks can be made to First Congregational Church, Brimfield UCC and put Mission Fund in memo please.

Thank you for your generous donations. May you have a Blessed Christmas!

For more information contact Gina Lynch, Fellowship & Outreach Committee

No comments: