Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Acknowledging Sacredness

In this season of connections I've found the book Gilead, and how it has moved clergy from John Thomas to me. In his letter that I quoted yesterday, he also points to a passage in the book where the narrator talks about baptism and describes it as "to touch another with the pure intention of blessing, " a blessing that does not "enhance sacredness, but acknowledges it." Among the blessings of my vocation is that I get called upon to do just that. When I enter a hospital room, I don't bring God with me, I point to the God who is already there. And when I preach, if I do the hard work of getting out of the way, God speaks through me despite all the clever and not-so-clever things I attempt.

Such was my experience this past Sunday. I felt that I stumbled a bit through the delivery of the sermon. I didn't particularly feel that it came off too well. Perhaps some of you will agree. But true to form, a more than usual number of people has postive comments. But what really touched me was the way one of the visitors with us this week expressed how she was moved during worship. Neither of us pretended that it had anything to do with me, it was her experience of the Holy Spirit during worship. It is such a joy and a privilege to be an instrument of this sort of blessing, not enhancing sacredness, but simply acknowledging it.

We may be waiting for the sacred to come and be born among us, but the truth is that it is already hear and we need to acknowlege it.

No comments: