Saturday, December 10, 2005

Seeing a Great Light

There were so many interesting things that happened today that I will need a few days to post them all. I saw The Chronicles of Narnia tonight, I heard that the last survivor of the 1914 Christmas Truce died this year, and I attended the living nativity at Heifer Project's Overlook Farm today. It is the latter where I will go for today's post.

When I arrived, I was immediately approached by Ellen Zepp and asked to be an Old Testament prophet! Well, how could I turn down the role of a lifetime?!? Much to the relief or Mike Zepp (who had been dragooned into the role moments before) I said "yes, I would be Isaiah for a day."

It is no real stretch for me to read scripture, especially the words of a prophet. The prophets spent a good deal of time telling Israelites where they had gone wrong. I spend a good deal of my time reflecting on contemporary parallels. But Isaiah spoke to the Israelites when they were captive in Babylon, and he spoke of hope. Behold, God is doing a new thing...they would be going home! This prophecy was full of hope, "the people who walked in darkness have seen a great light. For unto us is born a child, unto us a son is given. And the government shall be upon his shoulder. And his name shall be called wonderful counsellor, everlasting father, the prince of peace."

What a happy job it is to declare this news, even if it is to the people who continue to walk in darkness. It is hard to believe that a wonderful counsellor who is the prince of peace is coming into this bleak and war torn world. Harder still is it to believe that this messiah has already come. Darkness is powerful, stealing sight from us. Let us not also let it steal hope!

No comments: