Friday, December 16, 2005

Mundane

Today was a mundane day, nothing exciting happened. Or at least that was my take on the day. I'm sure that with a bit more effort on my part I would have noticed something that would have knocked my socks off, but I didn't. And I didn't notice because I didn't look hard enough. That doesn't make it a bad day, just mundane, which literally means "earthy." Some days are best spent just connected to the earth, knowing your place.

Yesterday, I was walking up the driveway at the church on my way back to my office when I noticed a healthy white-tailed deer with a large rack standing at the end of the driveway on Warren Road! It stood there for a moment, looking in my direction, before running down North Main Street. That is just the sort of experience that we expect from God; breaking in to our mundane exsistences with a startling surprise. But guess what...I didn't see a buck today. Some days the lessons are simply mundane.

No comments: