Thursday, December 22, 2005

Christmas Cards

I'm glad that I have friends who send Christmas cards. We have done it only sporadically. But as time passes I have found that there are some people from my past that I only average annual contact (unfortunately usually one-way) through a card this time of year. One sentence of news can be sufficient. One friend has stopped smoking, another says that things are going much smoother. Each brings a smile and adds to the joy of the season.

The picture ones certainly mark the passing of time. This year I've seen pictures of babies celebrating their first Christmas, as well as children looking much older than I remember them! One child in one of the pictures is Catherine. Not too many years ago we were praying that she would live to see another Christmas. Then she had a bone marrow transplant and is now completely healthy. If you attended my ordination service you heard her sing Won't You Let Me Be Your Servant? The gift of life came from her brother, Alex. That gift, her life and the love and prayers that sustained her and her family remind me of what the true gifts of Christmas are. I hope you take a moment to consider what those gifts are for you this year.

No comments: