Friday, December 09, 2005

Let It Snow

I don't ski, I don't own a snowmobile or snowshoes, I haven't gone sledding in years, but I love snow. I love the beauty of it. I actually like the fact that it forces me to get outside and get some exercise shovelling it. I also love the way that is slows down the world. A good snow storm becomes an incidental sabbath.

Today, I dug out and headed to the church to meet someone who needed help getting to Boston for medical treatment. Since I was out, I also took the time to visit someone who is receiving hospice care and will be moving to a nursing home next week. Earlier in the week I visited with someone who is facing her first Christmas after the death of her husband. While others complain about the hustle and bustle of the season, I see a season of things slowing down and getting to what matters. Something about the stillness of a landscape covered in snow reminds me of gift of presence. Christmas celebrates God choosing to be present with us in human form; and the greatest gift we can offer to another is our presence. The best part of the present of presence is the fact that giver receives as much as the recipient.

I hope that today's snow slowed you down enough to know the presence of God in your life. Maybe you were even blessed by being present with someone who simply valued you being there. If not tomorrow presents another chance to be present.

No comments: