Monday, December 12, 2005

God Is Not Safe

I spent almost all day today outside. I saw the sunrise and the sunset over the trees of the Five Bridge Road area of town. Not surprisingly, the reason was because I was chasing birds, in particular, I wanted to find some owls, thus I required darkness. The problem with darkness and cold woodlands is that the combination can be more than a little unsettling. Even though I do this with some regularity, I must admit that I do get a little jumpy once in a while. Little noises startle me and strange, loud howling noises (rare, but not out of the question) can be cause for concern.

Moving as quickly as I could through a darkening stand of trees tonight reminded me of the 23rd Psalm, "Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for you are with me..." I calmed myself with the thought of God's presence. But then I remembered my favorite quote from The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. I was disappointed when I saw the movie that they left out the quote, since it occurs when the children are having dinner with the beavers. But then, at the end of the movie, Mr. Tumnus says effectively the same thing to Lucy, so at least it is almost there. The quote is uttered by the beavers in response the children's alarm when they learn that the long-awaited savior, Aslan, who is coming soon, is a lion! They ask, "Is he safe?" The beavers laugh and respond, "Of course he's not safe....but he's good!"

I have always loved that image for Christ, he's not safe at all. In fact, he was considered so dangerous to the status quo that the religious leaders convinced the political leaders to kill him. No, neither Jesus, nor God, is safe. But the danger of following this radical messiah is more than offset by his immeasurable goodness. That is a concept worthy of reflection for a minute or two during these long nights of waiting.

No comments: