Saturday, December 17, 2005

I Hate Housecleaning

I've met precious few people who enjoy cleaning house, so I suppose I'm not alone in disliking household chores. Today was spent cleaning the house in advance of company coming. Our houseguest is a friend of our son and a stranger to us. So that meant the we wanted to get things spruced up.

Of course, the idea behind my daily blogging was housecleaning in preparation of receiving a guest at Christmas (i.e. Christ) so today provided an object lesson. There have been a few days that the blogging has not come easily and I've grumbled a bit about my promise to do it. Well, just like the necessity of housecleaning, any discipline will be less than enjoyable at times, although still rewarding when completed.

So as I sit here in a (relatively) clean house, I'm aware of the satisfaction it brings. I'm also aware of the need for others, since I did only a tiny fraction of the work. I also realize that the cleaning was important because the person coming is a stranger, we don't usually worry too much about how clean the house is for those who live there (especially since they were the ones participating in the messing up!). So how much inner housecleaning is necessary for Christ's arrival? Where is he on the spectrum of stranger to family member? Perhaps you have a lot of inner work to do, but rest assured that when Christ comes in, he intends to stay...because you are family.

No comments: