Monday, December 19, 2005

Woolworth Madonna

I just finished reading the Christmas letter from the Minister and President of the UCC, John Thomas. In it he quotes E. B. White in 1936:
Shopping in Woolworth’s in the turbulent days, we saw a little boy put his hand inquiringly on a ten-cent Christ child, part of a creche. “What is this?” he asked his mother, who had him by the hand. “C’mon, c’mon,” replied the harassed woman, “you don’t want that ” She dragged him grimly away, a Woolworth Madonna, her mind dark with gift-thoughts, following a star of her own devising.
I was back in the "belly of the beast" today (as witnessed by not one, but two church members!) finishing up some Christmas shopping. I didn't like the feeling of pressure, nor the temptation to buy everything that struck my fancy. It just isn't much fun and it has a way of leading to bad feelings when the gift is not appreciated, or you don't get the thing you most wanted.

I want to have fascination like that of the child E. B. White described. I want to see even the cheap imitation of the holy and reach for the bauble, needing to touch it and marvel at it. I want to be so captivated by Christ this Christmas that I can't see anything else. Unfortunately, it is too easy to see the child in the manger as just another piece of cheap kitsch, small, insignificant and taken for granted.

I am so very much looking forward to Saturday night at 7:00 when the children of the church remind us of the ancient story once again. The star of the show at yesterday's rehearsal was a stuffed rabbit. I've been told that there will be a more human-like doll for the actual pageant. No matter what is placed in that manger in church on Christmas Eve, that is where all the focus will be. In the dark sanctuary a light will break forth, and we will all behold the glory of God. I can't wait!

No comments: