Wednesday, December 21, 2005

The Longest Night

It is good that Christmas is near, so I can stop making excuses for why the blog isn't updated. Actually, as reasons for missing a day go, today's is pretty good. I wasn't able to update the blog last night (or "today" according to the way I will make the date appear) because I spent the night at the church with the homeless families we are hosting this week.

Aside from the obvious Christmas message of making room at the inn for a homeless family, I realized that since the winter solstice took place in the afternoon, I was spending the longest night of the year at the church. The very reason that the church chose this time of year to celebrate the birth of the savior (no one really knows when he was born, though December is rather unlikely) was because of this event. At the time when there is more darkness than any other time of the year we most need the promise of light. People suffering sadness and depression often describe their experience as a long night. Long cold nights also tend to accentuate our losses, particularly if they are fresh.

So on this longest night, my thoughts and prayers are with those who find it hard to be festive in this season, particularly those who are facing a first Christmas without a loved one. May they know the peace of God and the embrace of friends.

No comments: