Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Question #36

First, my response to question #35:
I haven't researched the Gospel of Judas, but from what I have heard it seems to hinge on an almost denial of the flesh, i.e. Jesus desiring to be free from his body to return in spirit to God. From that perspective, we might let Judas off the hook, but I am uncomfortable with the prospect of Jesus disdaining his humanity. In a way, this feels like a betrayal since the heart of the Christian message is that God came and experienced what we experience, even to the point of suffering a horrific death. The humanity of Jesus is so central to my beliefs that I think the primary way I could betray him is to argue that I cannot be expected to be like him since he was more than human. And, in fact, I do betray him every time I fail to do what he would do were he living my life.

Now for today's question:

Question #36
Nearly all the followers of Jesus desert him after his arrest. We don't hear any voices calling for his release from Pilate and only John, Mary and Mary Magdalene are mentioned as being at the cross. How has desertion been a part of your life?


Post your answer (anonymously if you prefer) using the comment field and come back tomorrow for my response and the next question.

No comments: