Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Question #18

First, my response to question #17:
Isn't it interesting that Abimelech's pride wouldn't allow him to die in what he considered shame and then in this next story the elders of Gilead have to swallow their pride to seek out Jephthah? Actually, the swallowing of national pride allowing for the admission of mistakes is something in short supply these days. Unfortunately, I am as guilty as the rest of my fellow citizens of seeking the favor of the gods of comfort and greed and materialism, and only after realizing that they won't save me, turning to God for rescue. Sadly, it is a nearly daily struggle.

Now for today's question:

Question #18
There is a beautiful sentiment in Judges 10:16, "God could no longer bear to see Israel suffer." There is a recurring theme in scripture that God is so compassionate that any suffering (even the cries of "the enemy") cannot be ignored. Do you believe that God's heart breaks at your suffering?


Post your answer (anonymously if you prefer) using the comment field and come back tomorrow for my response and the next question.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yes I do believe that God's heart beaks at anyone's suffering. even thoose who we judge to be bad or evil. We are quick to judge everyone but ourself. I cannot accept that a loving god would want any suffering at all. this happens of our own hand. greed pride as well as our belief that we know better than our God what is best for us and we could judge others I am as guilty as anyone else.