Thursday, March 09, 2006

Question #8

First, my response to question #7:

One thing that the book of Judges shows us is the development of sanctioned religious architecture. Eventually, the Hebrews distinguished themselves from the nature religions by building the temple to replace the natural sites such as holy mountains (although the temple was built on a mountain) and trees, etc. The Asherah pole that Gideon cut down was actually a stylized tree (remember that Deborah sat under a particular tree).

While there may be a fine line at times between worshiping the Creator and worshiping the creation, I find myself longing to be in the wild for my personal worship. There are many places where I have had important spiritual experiences and they take on special meaning. Of course, many of them are church sanctuaries...but some of them are nature sanctuaries. I guess the bottom line for me is that I require very little structure (physical or otherwise) for my religious practice.


Now for today's question:

Question #8 Gideon basically said to God, “best two out of three” by asking for a second sign with the fleece. Name your “fleece.”

Post your answer (anonymously if you prefer) using the comment field and come back tomorrow for my response and the next question.

No comments: