Thursday, March 02, 2006

Question #2

Before posting the next question, as promised, I will give my answer to yesterday's question.

The pivotal word in question #1 is "evil." That is a strong word to say the least. I could waffle on this one and say that I've done bad things that weren't evil, but then there is that last phrase, "in the sight of God." Merciful as God is, God doesn't lower standards so much as forgiving us when we fall short. So, yes, I surely have done evil. The people in Judges consistently "do what is evil" by turning to other gods. When I think for just a second about all the excuses I use to keep from doing what is good and what I know I should, I realize that there is a pantheon of lesser gods that get a portion of my attention.

Now for today's question:

Question #2 When have you needed to cry out to God?

Post your answer (anonymously if you prefer) using the comment field and come back tomorrow for my response and the next question.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've needed to cry out to God for help and while asking for understanding in very difficult times. When I think of "crying out", I am thinking of the action of really speaking out loud, not just silent prayer. Very difficult times for me includes such things as dealing with untimely death, sickness and disease, and other similar "unfair" or unreasonable things that can occur... like when bad things happen to good people.

Culture Dove said...

Paul,

Thank you so much for having the courage to share that. My heart aches just remembering the times I have been with you when you cried out to God.

Thank you, too, for breaking the ice.

Anyone else?

Anonymous said...

As a child my step-father would beat and humiliate me. There were moments I wanted to cry out for help but knew that if I spoke even the smallest of words I would feel the wrath of the leather belt. For more than 13 years this was my daily existence. Even with the real threat of retaliation for crying or asking for help there was always the deeper reality of God’s love. God was always there to hear my cries and my anger and my dismay at what no child should live through. Somewhere in the cries to God came a strength to survive, a desire to know my own worth as a child, a child of God.

Culture Dove said...

What a powerful testimony to the love of God!

Thank you so much for sharing that painful memory and bearing witness to God's healing grace.