Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Question #6

First, my response to question #5:

I can't say that following God has taken me away from my family and its traditions, since we are all Christians. On the other hand, I learned and believed Evangelical theology growing up. I did reject that school of thought years ago when I couldn't reconcile it with what my heart was saying. Actually, it was the practice of justifying killing in the name of God (as seen in the book of Judges) that caused me to finally reject the primary doctrine of Evangelicalism, the inerrancy of scripture.

That radical shift felt like I had no place to stand at the time. Sure, it was just an existential experience, but a pretty powerful one for me. Over time as I built up a strong enough alternative to support my belief system I found the urge to fight my former views to be strong. Finding ways to affirm the best of my former views has not always been easy, but it is a healthy journey I find myself on.

Now for today's question:

Question #6 Gideon, aka Jerubaal, either called on the foreign god, Baal, to contend against him or for him. When have you been likewise unclear or ambivalent (intentionally or otherwise) in your struggle against another “god?”

Post your answer (anonymously if you prefer) using the comment field and come back tomorrow for my response and the next question.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do not recall believing in another "god" like our god, so I think this question does not apply to me. However, if "another god" means distractions from our god, such as worshiping worldly material goods, then I can think of struggles I have had. It is too easy to become wrapped up in distractions that are interesting to me, but that may not be considered by god to be a useful occupation of my time and energy.