Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Question #7

First, my response to question #6:

The commenter on the questioned assumed correctly what I probably should have clarified: by "another god" I intended that which distracts us from God. I think there is a little bit of Gideon, the unsure, in all of us. The question, "what if I'm wrong?" can be both a humbling corrective as well as a tremendous roadblock. We don't see a lot of evidence that Gideon served Baal, but his service to YHWH is certainly tentative. Sometimes I find myself trapped between an urge to take a bold stance and the desire not to rock the boat. I'm pretty sure that the most effective way I have "served another god" is in my silence, protecting what I have and don't want to lose. And this is nothing as noble as "losing everything" or becoming a martyr for my faith. It is usually status and comfort that are at stake. Status, power and comfort can make pretty compelling "gods."


Now for today's question:

Question #7 Gideon lived in a time before the building of the temple and worship took place in a variety of settings, some perhaps not clearly for YHWH, since they may have also served Baal. What do you need in terms of structure for your own worship?

Post your answer (anonymously if you prefer) using the comment field and come back tomorrow for my response and the next question.

No comments: