Saturday, March 25, 2006

Question #22

First, my response to question #21:
Sorry to sound like a cop out, but I wrote my newsletter article this month on this very topic, so you will be able to read it here. I'm sorry that it is not there at the moment. I will try to get it posted there soon, Tuesday at the latest.

Now for today's question:

Question #22
I say, "to-may-to," you say, "to-mah-to." That is the gist of the "shibboleth" story. Shibboleth has come in to our lexicon meaning something that distinguishes one group from another or betrays one as an outsider. For the Gileadites it was the clue that the speaker was an Ephraimite and thus deserved to die. For you, how thin is the line between pride in being part of a particular group and disdain for an outsider?

Post your answer (anonymously if you prefer) using the comment field and come back tomorrow for my response and the next question.

No comments: