Thursday, March 30, 2006

Question #26

First, my response to question #25:
It is possible (though a bit of a stretch) to see Samson as the subject of the verb and thus the one looking for a pretext to do violence to the Philistines. But, as seems to be the case, if God is the subject then there is strange theology at work here. I would contend that even with "the chosen people" God doesn't take sides in warfare, since that is a human invention. I do think that since the victors write the histories that this is an example of someone justifying a bad action by invoking God. We see this all too often today, and I'm sad to say, it is a behavior that is all too easy to fall victim to. I would love to have God as an excuse for everything I do about which I rightfully should be ashamed, but theology that allows that simply shows its human origin.

Now for today's question:

Question #26
Samson is constantly a victim of his own base nature. He has a clear weakness for women. He simply can't control his lust and he ends up making awful mistakes after the fact. Lust may not be as big a problem for you, but what is your "Achilles' heel"?


Post your answer (anonymously if you prefer) using the comment field and come back tomorrow for my response and the next question.

No comments: