Friday, March 03, 2006

Question #3

OK, first my response to question #2.

In the Judges "formula," the people cry out because they are being oppressed. Now, it is important to note that they brought it on themselves. This is a hard and dangerous theology, believing that suffering is a result of sin. It is a theology rejected by Jesus, who said that the blindness of the man at the pool of Siloam was not the result of anyone's sin (neither his nor his parents') but was specifically to reveal the glory of God through his healing. The comments you posted yesterday (thank you again) remind us that bad things happen to good people. So we all cry out to God on occasion.

For me, one of the most dramatic times was the same one Paul alluded to. Molly's short life touched all of us in ways that some much longer lives seldom do, making saying "goodby" to her all the harder. The day I baptized her, I understood that the reason for it was a fear that she might not ever leave the hospital and be able to get baptized in the church. As I left her hospital room, I cried out to God, "don't ever make me do that again!"

Now for today's question:

Queston #3 If God were to raise up a deliverer for you, what would that look like? Who might that be?

Post your answer (anonymously if you prefer) using the comment field and come back tomorrow for my response and the next question.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I was young I imagined a super hero coming to my rescue, swooping in and saving me from the day. As I have grown and continued to wrestle with my demons, past and present, my super hero image just does not work any more. At times I am at a lose for an image. The quest really stopped me in my tracks...dare I ask for a deliverer? a redeemer? a savior? and from what do I ask to be saved?